24 ounces dark chocolate (73%)
16 ounces unsalted butter
20.5 ounces sugar
1/3 cup ice water
- Beat the eggs with 1/3rd of the sugar until doubled in size
- Place the rest of the sugar in a double boiler with the water and heat until the sugar is dissolved
- Add the chocolate and the butter and continue to melt, stirring all the time
- Cool the mixture slightly (approximately 5 mins), then add to the egg mixture gently stirring until it is fully mixed. Do not over work or it will become too heavy when cooked
- Pour into a 4oz baking molds, ideally silicone, 2/3 full that have been sprayed or buttered.
- Place them in a baking tray filled with hot water. The water should be level with the mixture in the cake cups. This is called a Bain Marie.
- Place the Bain Marie in the oven and cook at 275F for 35-45 minutes. Test with a toothpick to see if done.
- Place the Bain Marie in the fridge for 2 hours, then remove the cakes from the cups.
- Serve with vanilla cream or ice cream and some slices of seasonal citrus, such as clementines
- Best served at room temperature.